Saturday, January 25, 2020

Gurumba Bigi


Gurumba bigi!
This means 'good day' in Jagara language. The Jagara people are one of the traditional Aboriginal owners of the land on which I live in Brisbane Australia

Today has been given over to organising aspects of the project, learning how to manipulate Google Sheets and Forms and discovering the depths of my patience as I worked and reworked material. I also began building our Google Earth Global Project so that we can curate our work and really see how geographical distance is no distance at all when it comes to sharing what we hold most dear. One of the things I am enjoying most in the preparation, is the constant reminder that I am a learner. It excites me and humbles me too. I have a fabulous inspiration who challenges me and teaches me to step beyond the edge of my comfort zone. It can be a scary place but a healthy reminder that as an educator I expect it of my students. Leaning into discomfort and uncertainty is uncomfortable at times, but through such moments, I understand myself more.

 It is really exciting to see so many teachers getting on board and that's before the invitations have been widely broadcast. At this point twenty three teachers have nominated to participate with students across fourteen countries in Asia and Europe. The three themes appear to be triggering a fantastic response which is exciting. Investing in the exploration of cultural diversity and igniting curiosity about how we each confront the global issues of our day, is to me, an important way to spend what is Australia Day 2020. Today, cultural awareness and sensitivity is most pronounced. Today commemorates Cook's discovery of a found land. A land already occupied, nurtured and held as sacred. Today I find myself thinking particularly of how I might help build bridges of understanding, empathy and responsibility and this expenditure of time is one small action I can take.

 I found myself considering the richness of global projects and such enterprises, and I think that is probably what drives us as educators, to participate in such opportunities, broadening cultural engagement beyond our classroom walls. The ASEF have made such collaborations possible and it astounds me that such programs aren't embedded within and beyond the curriculum. I created our Facebook page and our Teacher's Flipgrid account. Once you have joined our collaboration I will send you the password.

As you begin to think about what you want your students to gain from this collaboration, give some thought to what you might also gain both personally and professionally. We have had wonderful exchanges in the past and this new project will hopefully seed far more.

WATCH THIS SPACE

You may like to see the YouTube collections I am currently putting together.
Go to
Global Sustainability Development Goals 
 and AI and Gender Equity
Write the World is one of the sites we will be using.

No comments:

Post a Comment